Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
python2.1, python2.2, python2.3, gnumeric vulnerabilities
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
These remote packages are missing security patches :
USN-173-1 fixed a buffer overflow vulnerability in the PCRE library.
However, it was found that the various python packages and gnumeric
contain static copies of the library code, so these packages need to
be updated as well.
In gnumeric this bug could be exploited to execute arbitrary code with
the rights of the user if the user was tricked into opening a
specially crafted spreadsheet document.
In python, the impact depends on the particular application that uses
python's "re" (regular expression) module. In python server
applications that process unchecked arbitrary regular expressions with
the "re" module, this could potentially be exploited to remotely
execute arbitrary code with the rights of the server.
Upgrade to :
- gnumeric-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-common-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-doc-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-tests-extra-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- idle-python2.1-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- idle-python2.2-2.2.3dfsg-1ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- idle-python2.3-2.3.5-2ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- python2.1-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- python2.1-dev-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- python2.1-doc-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: Ubuntu Security Notice (C) 2005 Canonical, Inc. / NASL script (C) 2005 Michel Arboi
|Samsung F4EG HD204UI 2TB 5400RPM Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
| Intel 600p Series 256GB SSD M.2 2280 80mm SSDPEKKW256G7X1 Open Box Tested
|SSD 100GB SAMSUNG FOR PARTS OR REPAIR
|Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001)
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.