Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
These remote packages are missing security patches :
Recently another buffer overflow has been discovered in the SASL
authentication module of the Cyrus IMAP server. An off-by-one
comparison error in the mysasl_canon_user() function could lead to a
missing termination of an user name string.
This vulnerability could permit remote, attacker-supplied machine code
to be executed in the context of the affected server process. Since
the IMAP server usually runs as unprivileged user 'cyrus', there is no
possibility of root privilege escalation.
Upgrade to :
- cyrus21-admin-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-clients-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-common-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-dev-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-doc-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-imapd-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-murder-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- cyrus21-pop3d-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libcyrus-imap-perl21-2.1.16-6ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: Ubuntu Security Notice (C) 2005 Canonical, Inc. / NASL script (C) 2005 Michel Arboi
|Knoppix 7.2.0 Live Linux Bootable Startup CD (Runs form CD) +Free Retro Linux CD
|Latest KNOPPIX LINUX Operating system PC repair Bootable live system Windows USB
|KNOPPIX LINUX - NEW v7.7.1 Live DVD & 16GB 3.0 USB Flash Drive with Persistence
|Knoppix Linux Live USB 32 64 bit Debian GNU Apache MySQL w/setup guide
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.