Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
These remote packages are missing security patches :
During an audit of the Samba 3.x code base Stefan Esser discovered a
Unicode file name buffer overflow within the handling of
TRANSACT2_QFILEPATHINFO replies. A malicious samba user with write
access to a share could exploit this by creating specially crafted
path names (files with very long names containing Unicode characters)
that would overflow an internal buffer and could lead to remote
execution of arbitrary code with the rights of the samba server.
Since the samba server usually (by default) runs as root, this flaw
can lead to privilege escalation and unbounded system compromise.
Upgrade to :
- libpam-smbpass-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libsmbclient-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libsmbclient-dev-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- python2.3-samba-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- samba-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- samba-common-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- samba-doc-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- smbclient-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- smbfs-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- swat-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- winbind-3.0.7-1ubuntu6.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: Ubuntu Security Notice (C) 2005 Canonical, Inc. / NASL script (C) 2005 Michel Arboi
|Silicon Power 1TB Rugged Armor A30 Military Grade Shockproof USB 3.0 2.5...
|DELL 1000 GB 1 TB 5g 7.2 K SAS 3.5'' Hot Swap Hard Disc T-R series 0U738K U738K
|Dell 1TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gbps 128MB Cache 3.5" HDD P/N: 0GWD7D
|WD Blue 1TB Internal SSD SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch WDS100T1B0A
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.