Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
curl, wget vulnerabilities
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
These remote packages are missing security patches :
A buffer overflow has been found in the NTLM authentication handler of
the Curl library and wget. By tricking an user or automatic system
that uses the Curl library, the curl application, or wget into
visiting a specially-crafted web site, a remote attacker could exploit
this to execute arbitrary code with the rights of the calling
The Ubuntu 4.10 and 5.04 versions of wget are not affected by this.
Upgrade to :
- curl-7.14.0-2ubuntu1.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
- libcurl2-7.11.2-12ubuntu3.2 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- libcurl2-dbg-7.12.0.is.7.11.2-1ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libcurl2-dev-7.11.2-12ubuntu3.2 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- libcurl2-gssapi-7.12.0.is.7.11.2-1ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libcurl3-7.14.0-2ubuntu1.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
- libcurl3-dbg-7.14.0-2ubuntu1.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
- libcurl3-dev-7.14.0-2ubuntu1.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
- libcurl3-gssapi-7.14.0-2ubuntu1.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
- wget-1.10-2ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 5.10)
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: Ubuntu Security Notice (C) 2005 Canonical, Inc. / NASL script (C) 2005 Michel Arboi
|SAMSUNG SK HYNIX (9 x 8GB DDR4) 2400 MHz DDR4 Laptop RAM Memory
|Patriot 16GB KIT 2X8GB DDR3 1600 PC3 PSD316G1600KH ps000989 DIMM Memory Ram
|Hynix PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) 1 GB DIMM 800 MHz PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory...
|Dell T1700 SFF E3-1226 Xeon 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Win7 COA
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.