Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Check for the version of the kernel package
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
The remote host is missing the patch for the advisory SUSE-SA:2005:050 (kernel).
The Linux kernel was updated to fix the following security issues:
- CVE-2005-2457: A problem in decompression of files on 'zisofs'
filesystem was fixed.
- CVE-2005-2458: A potential buffer overflow in the zlib decompression
handling in the kernel was fixed.
- CVE-2005-2459: Some return codes in zlib decoding were fixed which
could have led to a possible hacker crashing the kernel.
- CVE-2005-2555: Only processes with the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability is
now permited load socket policies.
- CVE-2005-2456: Fixed a potential overflow caused by missing boundary
checks of sock->sk_policy in net/xfrm/.
- AMD64/EM64T/x86_64 only: A previous fix for a denial of service
attack with compat 32bit mode programs was too strict and could
crash the kernel. (The earlier fix had the Mitre CVE ID CVE-2005-1765.)
- S/390 only: Fixed /sys/ permissions where a user could change machine
states, including powering down or up partitions.
- CVE-2005-0916: PowerPC only: A missing patch for a hugetlb memory
context handling problem was added.
Above problems affect SUSE Linux 9.1 up to 9.3 and SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 9.
Solution : http://www.suse.de/security/advisories/2005_50_kernel.html
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: This script is Copyright (C) 2005 Tenable Network Security
|Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Punch Cards, Test Deck
|Great Mother of z/OS ---- IBM 370 Mainframe OS on PC ---- myMVS
|Ericsson MC-16 rare touchscreen windows CE handheld computer working plus gift
|Vintage Apple 2C IIC Computer A2S4000 With Power Supply Extras TESTED WORKS
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.