Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Check for the version of the net packages
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
Updated net-snmp packages that fix two security issues and various bugs
are now available.
This update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.
SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) is a protocol used for network
A denial of service bug was found in the way net-snmp uses network stream
protocols. It is possible for a remote attacker to send a net-snmp agent a
specially crafted packet that will crash the agent. The Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name
CVE-2005-2177 to this issue.
An insecure temporary file usage bug was found in net-snmp's fixproc
command. It is possible for a local user to modify the content of temporary
files used by fixproc that can lead to arbitrary command execution. The
Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned
the name CVE-2005-1740 to this issue.
Additionally, the following bugs have been fixed:
- The lmSensors are correctly recognized, snmp deamon no longer segfaults
- The larger swap partition sizes are correctly reported
- Querying hrSWInstalledLastUpdateTime no longer crashes the snmp deamon
- Fixed error building ASN.1 representation
- The 64-bit network counters correctly wrap
- Large file systems are correctly handled
- Snmptrapd initscript correctly reads options from its configuration
- Snmp deamon no longer crashes when restarted using the agentX
- snmp daemon now reports gigabit Ethernet speeds correctly
- MAC adresses are shown when requested instead of IP adresses
All users of net-snmp should upgrade to these updated packages, which
resolve these issues.
Solution : http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-395.html
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: This script is Copyright (C) 2005 Tenable Network Security
|New Cisco CP-8851-K9 VoIP IP PoE Color LCD Display Phone
|Cisco Cp-8841-k9 8841 VoIP IP Phone With Stand & Handset
|Cisco CP-7925G-A-K9 7925 Wireless Cordless VoIP IP Phone w/ Adapter + Cradle
|New Cisco Phone CP-9951-CL-K9 VoIP POE (Open Box)
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.