Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Check for the version of the kernel packages
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
This kernel update for Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 addresses some
security issues and provides minor bug fixes.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system. A
number of vulnerabilities were found in the Red Hat Linux Advanced Server
kernel. These vulnerabilities could permit a local user to obtain elevated
The vulnerabilities existed in a number of drivers, including
stradis, rio500, se401, apm, usbserial, and usbvideo.
Additionally, a number of bugs have been fixed, and some small feature
enhancements have been added.
- Failed READA requests could be interpreted as I/O errors under high
load on SMP
this has been fixed.
- In rare cases, TLB entries could be corrupted on SMP Pentium IV
this potential for corruption has been fixed. Third-party modules
will need to be recompiled to take advantage of these fixes.
- The latest tg3 driver fixes have been included
the tg3 driver
now supports more hardware.
- A mechanism is provided to specify the location of core files and to
set the name pattern to include the UID, program, hostname, and PID of
the process that caused the core dump.
A number of SCSI fixes have also been included:
- Configure sparse LUNs in the qla2200 driver
- Clean up erroneous accounting data as seen by /proc/partitions and iostat
- Allow up to 128 scsi disks
- Do not start logical units that require manual intervention, avoiding
unnecessary startup delays
- Improve SCSI layer throughput by properly clustering DMA requests
All users of Red Hat Linux Advanced Server are advised to upgrade to the
Solution : http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-227.html
Network Security Threat Level: High
Networks Security ID:
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: This script is Copyright (C) 2004 Tenable Network Security
|ATARI PROOFREADER Dictionary Diskette Dx5074 - 1984
|2600 Connection - ATARI VCS print newsletters 1997-1998 12 issues videogame
|2600 Connection - ATARI VCS print newsletters 1993-1994 12 issues videogame book
|Codename: Panzers Cold War
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.