Vulnerability Assessment & Network Security Forums
If through a vulnerability assessment, a network security issue is detected for the vulnerability below, applying the appropriate security patches in a timely matter is very important. If you have detected that your system has already been compromised, following CERT's Network Security recovery document will assist with recommended steps for system recovery.
Vulnerability Assessment Details
Multiple vulnerabilities in phpBB version 2.0.11 and older
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Assessment
The remote web server contains a PHP application that is affected by
The remote host is running phpBB version 2.0.11 or older. Such
versions suffer from multiple vulnerabilities:
- full path display on critical messages.
- full path disclosure in username handling caused by a PHP 4.3.10 bug.
- arbitrary file disclosure vulnerability in avatar handling functions.
- arbitrary file unlink vulnerability in avatar handling functions.
- path disclosure bug in search.php caused by a PHP 4.3.10 bug.
- path disclosure bug in viewtopic.php caused by a PHP 4.3.10 bug.
The path disclosure vulnerabilities can be exploited by remote
attackers to reveal sensitive information about the installation that
can be used in further attacks against the target.
To exploit the avatar handling vulnerabilities, 'Enable gallery
avatars' must be enabled on the target (by default, it is disabled)
and a possible hacker have a phpBB account on the target.
See also :
Upgrade to phpBB 2.0.12 or later.
Network Security Threat Level:
Low / CVSS Base Score : 2
Networks Security ID: 12618, 12621, 12623
Vulnerability Assessment Copyright: This script is Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Tenable Network Security
No Discussions have been posted on this vulnerability.